Job Opening: Associate Editor, Kohl: A Journal for Body and Gender
Job Vacancy: Associate Editor
Kohl: a Journal for Body and Gender Research
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Application Deadline: Sunday, January 24, 2016
Type of contract: Full-time
Starting date: Monday, February 1, 2016
Overview of the position:
The Associate Editor is a full-time position and plays a key role in the editorial team of the journal. In addition to actively participating in the decision-making process, the Associate Editor is responsible for handling the communications, ensuring the smooth running of the internal organization, and building and implementing strategies to promote the journal to the public.
The Associate Editor reports to the Editor in Chief.
- Provides language editing, proofreading, and standardization of all the articles.
- Performs fact-checking and conducts research prior to publication.
- Assists with content editing and drafting of all announcements related to the journal.
- Participates in the pre-selection and final selection of manuscripts.
- Handles all the communications related to peer reviewing, contractual personnel, inquiries, and concerns, and ensures the timely relay of information.
- Handles social media, marketing and visibility strategies, and dissemination.
- Implements an outreach strategy to promote the activities of the journal.
- Manages the website and uploads the issue.
- Ensures all deadlines are met, including online publishing.
- Organizes the logistics for the activities related to the journal (talks, conferences, meetings, and workshops).
Competencies and skills:
- Solid background in gender and sexuality.
- Strong commitment to gender justice, sexual and bodily rights, and feminism.
- Knowledge of the MENA region’s challenges and landscape in relation to issues of gender and sexuality.
- Knowledge of the current state of research in the MENA region.
- Ability to evaluate research and recommend edits.
- Strong written communication skills and editing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to relay information accurately in a timely manner.
- Sharp attention to detail and good time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Good knowledge of social media and other online platforms.
University degree in the social sciences, humanities, or relevant field.
One to two years of relevant experience in the MENA region.
Arabic and English.
- Strong writing/editing skills in Arabic.
- Knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of university programs and/or non-governmental organizations that work on issues related to gender and sexuality across the MENA.
- Previous experience in an academic journal and/or in grassroots women’s movements in the MENA.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Associate Editor” as the subject line by Sunday, January 24, 2016. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will review applications on a rolling basis. Shortlisted candidates will be sent a short editing exercise by e-mail, and interviews will be conducted on the week of January 25, 2016.
Click here for more information.
Click here to view our current call for papers.
Click here to view our second issue.
Please disseminate widely.