Dr. Philip M. Kayal Fund for Arab American Research 2016 Research Grant
Deadline: Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 5:00pm EST
The Dr. Philip M. Kayal Fund for Arab American Research housed at the Center for Arab American Philanthropy announces the availability of funds supporting scholarly research on Arab American communities.
Preference will be given to research on Arab American communities within the social sciences, particularly sociology, anthropology, psychology, political science, social work, economics, and history. However, biological research, and research on health/illnesses, genetics, and mental health may also be considered. In particular, findings of the research should lend themselves to the construction of theories and information with useful social or institutional applications.
Qualified candidates include graduate students or non-tenured faculty members at accredited institutions. Priority will be given to graduate level and post-graduate students conducting research for publication. Research applications will be ranked according to the following priorities:
1) Arab Americans conducting research on the Arab American community;
2) Non-Arab Americans conducting research on the Arab American community; and 3) Arab Americans conducting research in any related field.
Funding will be directed to the academic institution associated with the researcher. Researchers working on behalf of a non-academic organization will not be considered. Funding for Ph.D. students for research on their dissertation will be considered on an individual basis.
Examples of studies that would be considered for funding
- Studies of institutional development and/or interpretations of institutional effects on communities. Eg., churches, mosques, niche businesses
- Studies of institutional discrimination and integration regarding Arab Americans.
- Arab American entrepreneurship, past and present
- Comparative studies between Arab American groups
- Identity and changes in identity over time; relationship to political activity
- Arab American philanthropy (focus, purpose, etc.)
- Assimilation studies, especially comparing different waves of migration, levels of assimilation, etc.
- Marriage and intermarriage patterns
- Stereotyping and self esteem/acceptance
- Voting patterns and political loyalties
- Intergenerational relations
- Suburbanization, assimilation and group identity
- Socializing patterns of families at various stages of assimilation
- Institutional involvement and support (political, religious, educational, legal, etc.)
- Social, health, family, etc. issues facing Arab Americans
Amount of Funding
Dependent on the availability of funds, the Dr. Philip M. Kayal Arab American Research Fund will consider grant requests not exceeding $2,500 each.
Limitations on Funding
Grants will not be made to the individual researcher, but to their academic institution and then designated for use by the researcher. The Fund will not support the following activities:
- Projects that include religious instruction
- Political parties or political action committees
- Non U.S.-based organizations
- Equipment and technology purchase (i.e. computers)
Grant Review and Recommendation
Grantmaking from the Arab American Research Fund will be conducted by a committee of academics, with experience in research, and chaired by Professor Kayal. The committee will review the requests for funding, taking into consideration the topic of research, the quality of the methodology, publishing potential, and whether or not the findings have implications that and/or applications that extend beyond the direct research.
How to Apply
All applications must include:
- A completed cover sheet, which can be filled out at this link: http://bit.ly/Kayal2016
- Narrative of no more than 3 pages by email (Narrative instructions are on page 4)
- Project budget (page 5) by email
- Attachments (as listed on page 4) by email
Applications will NOT be considered if these requirements are not met.
Documents sent by email should be directed to Dillon Fuad Odeh at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email must be received by 5:00 pm EST on Thursday, July 14, 2016.
Applicants will be notified of the funding decisions September 1, 2016. Grants will be distributed immediately after for a project start date of September 1, 2016. The grant period is one year, ending August 31, 2017.
If you have any questions, please contact Dillon Fuad Odeh at email@example.com. You can also find additional information about the Dr. Philip M. Kayal Fund for Arab American Research and the Center for Arab American Philanthropy on our website at http://www.centeraap.org/funds/view-our-funds/dr-philip-m-kayal-fund-for-arab-american-research/