Nominations for AASA Board of Directors
The Board of the Arab American Studies Association (AASA) would like to invite interested current AASA members to run for election to fill two open positions on the AASA Board. One position is for a Member-at-Large, and one is for Secretary.
The term for Member-at-Large is two years, and will run from November 2015 to November 2017, beginning with the close of the Board meeting at this year’s MESA conference in November. The term for Secretary of the Board is three years, and will run from November 2015 to November 2018 (two years as active Secretary, and one year as Past-Secretary).
Below are descriptions of each officer’s position, as delineated on the bylaws (which you can find on the AASA website http://www.arabamericanstudies.org).
- Serve as one of the Board members for a two-year term.
- Attend Board meetings and participate in Board decisions.
- Responsible, in conjunction with the President, President-Elect, Past President, Secretary, and Treasurer for major financial decisions, policy decisions, and changes in by-laws.
- Assist the President with outreach activities, membership recruitment and fund-raising.
- Serve as one of the Board members for two years as Secretary, followed by two years as Past-Secretary.
- Attend annual member’s meeting and Board of Directors meeting and provide reports of both meeting proceedings to board members.
- Send out renewal notices in January and reminder notices in April. Send invoices to institutional members annually.
- Maintain the membership list, making address and email changes with periodical updates.
- Handle routine correspondence, especially membership questions and financial questions.
- Handle outreach, advertising, and mailing list for periodicals.
- Distribute back issues to new members who join mid-year as soon as their dues have been received.
We hope that you will be interested in nominating yourselves to one of these open positions on the AASA Board. Your scholarship and dedication to Arab American Studies is vital to the success of this organization.
Those nominated would be voted on by the AASA membership through secret electronic ballot (SurveyMonkey). Only current AASA members are eligible to vote and/or run for elections. If interested, please submit a short bio and statement (about 100 words) of your vision for the organization and the discipline to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to nominate someone other than yourself, please be sure to contact that person first and determine whether a) they are interested and b) they are current AASA members, then encourage them to send their information directly to the secretary.
The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, October 20, 2015.
The AASA Board of Directors